Blindness is a very painful and serious thing for anyone. However, we can see that many blind friends live their lives in their own lives. Even, they made a lot of things that normal people can’t do. Although such things give us the feeling that they are very strong, we also need to pay attention when we get along with them. How do you get along with the blind in life? What are the things to pay attention to when they get along with them?
- The mercy
Vision disabled people “live in the darkness” The loss of access to environmental information and the loss of effective control of the environment, the inconvenience of visually impaired persons with disabilities, the hardships of life, and job hunting is very difficult. This makes the visually impaired, a socially disadvantaged group, more likely to be pity and concern by other persons. In fact, the compassion for the visually handicapped is to understand, care and help them. But only pity is not enough. People with visual disabilities who are as equal as ordinary people are eager to be respected, understood, cared for and helped. Because the education of the blind, especially the early education of the blind, is developed, the ability and social status of the blind are comparable to those of ordinary people.
- The fear
Because visual impairment is more “cruel” to individuals, people always turn fear of darkness into life. It is better to die than to be blind.” “Blindness is more terrible than death”, “One death is over, and blindness is a sin”… Coupled with the hardships of visually handicapped people, abnormal appearances, etc. will make more people fear of visual disability. In fact, visually handicapped people are just as terrible as ordinary people; On the contrary, they live in a visual society as visually impaired people and feel inconvenient everywhere. They have a fear of the world, so the exchange and understanding between the two sides are very important.
- The superstition
When the blind person is mentioned, some people will immediately associate with feudal superstitions such as “fortune telling” and “retribution”. They feel that the blind person is mysterious and also feels the “dreadful” of the blind. People often believe in the “smart” and “efficiency” of the blind. In fact, blind people are synthesizing all aspects of information from different sources, combined with simple psychological derivation. Another reason why we had low expectations for them was to surprise ourselves.
- Vision disability is invisible
When most ordinary people hear about “visual disability”, they will immediately think that it is “in the dark”. This is not the case: visual disability includes both blindness and low vision, and people with low vision can still see things. Even in the “blind” category, the real “all blind” is only a very small number, and most “blind people” have some residual vision.
- The mystery
When it comes to blind people, the first feeling of many people is that they are more mysterious. The eyes are invisible, never hit the tree, nor hit the wall, their ears are particularly sensitive. Actually, it is not the case that many physiologists and psychologists repeatedly test that from the aspect of anatomy and physiology, there is no obvious organic change in the hearing organs of blind children and ordinary people. The difference is that the hearing organs of blind children are forced to gain more stimulation opportunities, and the sensory function is strengthened.
The most basic considerations for contact with visually impaired people
Conversation and gathering
- Please meet as much as possible about your information for the first time, so that he has a sense of trust and security.
- Before talking to the visually impaired person, please call his name first, let him know clearly that you are speaking to him.
- Most people are used to using nodding, shaking their heads, smiling, etc. body language and expressions.But when talking to people with visual impairment, don’t use body language and expression instead of words to communicate.
- When you meet a visually impaired person, or someone introduces a blind person to you, you can greet him directly and don’t talk to him through a third party.
- Don’t play “Guess who I am”Quietly walked to the side of the visually impaired, and suddenly took a surprise shot on his back. Don’t play with these two games.
- In the conversation, or when you bring the visually impaired person’s hand to examine things, please don’t use visual vocabulary like “look”There is no need to hesitate to use the word “blind” or to discuss blindness. A considerable number of blind people prefer you to say “you take a look” rather than “you touch it.” When directing the visually impaired person, please be as accurate as possible, using “up”, “down”, “right-hand side” and “front side” instead of “here” and “where”.
- Talk to anotherperson, please don’t let the visually impaired people stay too long, they will be at a loss.
- When you come to them or leave, please let them know and say, the same is true for rooms with visually impaired people.
- If you need a visually impaired person to wait, please let them rely on the object (a chair, a table, a handrail),don’t let them stand in an empty space, they will feel unsafe.
- Compared with chopsticks, most visually impaired people like to use a spoon.
- Try to avoid using shallow dishes to hold food for the visually impaired, and use a bowl of the right size.
- Don’t give too much drink and tea to the visually impaired
- When dining with the visually impaired, please read the menu and priceto them and let him order the food. Please tell him where the items such as dishes, cups, etc. are placed. If there are more people and dishes, the visually impaired prefer that you help him to sandwich the food in his own small bowl.